Considering Buying A Property To Rent Out To Tourists In Mallorca?

Sea, hills and sun on the Pine Walk, Puerto Pollenca Mallorca winter 2024

Are you thinking about buying a property in Mallorca to rent out as a holiday home to help cover running costs?

You are not alone. It’s a very popular idea…and also practical.

Many people buy properties on this beautiful island and make their investment pay off by renting them out when they're not using them.

However, to rent out your property legally, you need to get an ETV Licence from the Tourist Board. Without this licence, you can't list your property on Airbnb or other rental sites, and you risk getting fined heavily by the authorities.

In July 2018, the laws for renting out properties to tourists in Mallorca were updated. Now, to rent out your property as tourist accommodation, you must have an ETV rental licence. Getting a licence was tough for a while, but the good news is that the Tourist Board is issuing them again.

Here’s What You Need To Know:

The Three Types of Rental Licences

1. ETV:

This licence lets you rent out your property all year and doesn't need to be renewed. It's the most comprehensive but also the most expensive, costing €3500 per guest space.

For example, renting out a 6-bedroom villa could cost you €77,000. This licence is only for standalone houses, and you can only have up to three ETV licences if you own multiple properties.

This is a considerable expense but can add value to your property and enhance any future selling price.


This is also a year-round licence but needs to be renewed every five years. It's cheaper than an ETV, costing €875 per guest space.

This licence is for properties that share a wall or space with neighbours, and you'll need your neighbours' permission to apply for this licence.

A view out over a distinguished finca at a winery near Pollenca Mallorca, winter 2024

3. ETV60:

This licence allows you to rent your home for up to 60 days a year and is suitable for both standalone and semi-detached homes. It costs €291.67 per guest space, making it much more affordable than the full ETV. This licence also needs to be renewed every five years, and you'll need your neighbours' consent if your home isn't standalone.

The type of licence you need depends on your property's type and location.

Zoning in Mallorca

Mallorca is divided into 12 zones, each with its own rules for holiday rentals. Recently, many apartment owners lost their rental licences, which affected their income and left tourists without their preferred beachside accommodations. However, some apartments are now eligible for licences again.

Old rental licences are still valid, so if you already have one, you're in luck. But not everyone can get a new licence, especially in certain areas like protected rural lands or residential areas. The government has created a complicated system of different licences to manage the rental market better.

Each licence is limited to specific zones, and some zones don't allow any new licences. The Serra de Tramuntana Mountains, for example, are protected, so the government has restricted new licences in this area.

Energy Certificates

No matter the zone or licence type, all properties need an updated Energy Certificate and a CEDULA DE HABITABILIDAD, which confirms that the property is fit to live in.

Alternatively, you can rent out your property for longer periods on a monthly basis, which avoids some of these rules.

So, while renting out a property in Mallorca can be a great idea, it's important to understand the licensing requirements and zoning laws to make sure you're doing it correctly.

If you would like to discuss how we can help you make your dream of living in Mallorca a reality, just click here to arrange a consultation.

Boats on a glass sea in Alcudia port Mallorca winter 2023